Freien

The Making of a Leftist Chart

Freien    106

Let's try to create that political compass of the Left, as it was proposed by @Askietic some time ago. First of all, what should the y and the x axis stand for?

Αποτέλεσμα εικόνας για chart x y axis

What do you think of the x being Reform and x' being Revolution? What about the y'y then?

Edited by Freien

Caelapes    273

I don't know how valuable or meaningful something like this is, because it's going to be different for every movement in every country at every point in time.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Caelapes said:

I don't know how valuable or meaningful something like this is, because it's going to be different for every movement in every country at every point in time.

Well, yeah. That is why it needs to be kept as general as possible as to avoid time being a variable.

Transemilia    67

as i said in the previous topic, trying to turn ideology into numbers is a fool's game

Cheetoland    0

Reform vs. revolution kind of seems like a proxy for authoritarianism vs. libertarianism (how willing are you to use violence to reform society? is the question basically). The only other axis I can think of is just.. centralized/planned/command economy vs. market/decentralized (but I don't think decentralized planned economy really fits in with markets, so that'd be a pretty bad axis as well, so maybe make it planned economy vs. markets, but that is just a rehash of the left/right of the original compass!).

It's definitely a "fool's game" but it's still fun to try out I think.

Edited by Cheetoland

Luckynia    6
On ‎29‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 11:14 AM, Freien said:

Let's try to create that political compass of the Left, as it was proposed by @Askietic some time ago. First of all, what should the y and the x axis stand for?

Insurrectionism vs. Gradualism; Individualism vs. Collectivism.

• Like 1

Burninati0n    41
On 6/1/2017 at 8:33 AM, Luckynia said:

Insurrectionism vs. Gradualism; Individualism vs. Collectivism.

This is a potentially fruitful method. 

Caelapes    273

Again, it doesn't really make sense as tactics and strategies must change for each moment of revolutionary potential. No two revolutions are alike. We don't study the Bolshevik Revolution to try and copy their tactics, but to identify the strategies that worked for them in their material conditions.

On 4/29/2017 at 3:14 AM, Freien said:

What do you think of the x being Reform and x' being Revolution? What about the y'y then?

Maybe personal freedom?