Freien

Discussion: How could we do away with authority?

Freien    106

Without taking into account the 'ethical' ground of using the State as a means, do you believe that the withering away of the State is possible after it has fulfilled its purpose? If so, why and how?

Proletaire    51

In this question, I think it's important to understand that the State, as we have known it throughout history, is an instrument by which one class oppresses another. That is its political nature. During the course of the struggle, when the working class takes control over the state, they will use it to oppress the bourgeois class and do away with them. At that point, the point where there is no more bourgeois class, then the state loses its political character, and ceases to be a state as we have known it. 

Does 'authority' still exist? Surely. Is there still a government structure? I think, absolutely. But the state is not a state as it once was. It is no longer an instrument by which one class oppresses another. It is merely an instrument serving the needs of people at that point.

Bekansgill    0

That quite a scary answer and I'm not sure it's true. The Russian Revolution was lead by the middle class I think. In any case it the soviets were neutralized by the Bolsheviks who were mostly middle class intelligentsia. In Rojava a serious effort seems to have been made to eliminate hierarchy and patriarchy because s long as  a society is patriarchal it will never have equality. Rojava is attempting to relegate government to a class of administrators.They are wary of the danger that with top down logic  the state would reappear with its hierarchies and abuses. Annihilation of a class could lead to one group replacing that class.  A lot of the Chinese politburo came from the middle class and high ranking government officers and their descendants are today's billionaires. Ho Chi Min's family were middle ranking bureaucrats in the french colonial government.

Luckynia    6
On 27/09/2017 at 10:40 AM, Freien said:

Without taking into account the 'ethical' ground of using the State as a means, do you believe that the withering away of the State is possible after it has fulfilled its purpose?

No, because the purpose of the State is to maintain minority rule.