Burninati0n

WA Block Voting Organization

Is this something that you believe the Internationale should participate in at first blush?   

12 votes

1. 1. Is this something that you believe the Internationale should participate in at first blush?

Burninati0n    55

Comrades, 

I was approached by Ivory Rhodes, the WA delegate of the DSA (a region with which the Internationale maintains embassies) with the idea of creating an interregional organization that would foster the authorship of WA resolutions by member states and jointly analyze pending resolutions to determine what positions should be taken by member regions. (However, there is no intent to enforce block voting by member regions.) 

The organization is not likely to be leftist in name, but based on the regions invited by Ivory Rhodes at the outset, the general direction of the organization would be left-of-center. 

The regions currently at some stage of consideration are: Us (TI), The DSA, Forest, The SLU, and TVF

I have some concerns myself about some of these members, but depending on the actual final content of the charter of the proposed organization, it could be a reasonable thing to do. 

This is not a formal vote -- once a final charter is available for this proposed organization, a formal vote will be conducted (assuming that the above parties agree on enough to reach that point). I wish, however, to see what you all think of this at first blush. Absolutely a good idea, bad idea, or it depends on other factors? If the majority opinion is that this could be a good idea and a good thing, I will do my best to pursue it. If the majority strongly is against the idea, I will refrain from doing so. 

I have more information if you have questions -- so please post them. Several TI members, including the current General Council (Aarn, Useugi, and myself), as well as Misley and Chelovechestvo currently can see the chat in which this is being discussed by representatives from these regions. Please Discord me privately if you wish to see them as well. (I don't expect many people to want to do this, but if you wish to, just PM me in Discord.) 

• Like 1

Balloch    8

Questions: if different regions are authoring resolutions together, would they have to vote together on it or can some regions vote for it, against it, etc.   (I know it was said there will be no whip enforced but I want a little more clarity on voting dynamics before I decide)

More importantly, what is meant by a Left of centre organisation? Will we have to be dealing with a wide spectrum of both moderate and radical groups? If so, I was wondering if any other communist or anarchist regions were interested and could be invited to participate.

• Like 1

Burninati0n    55

Details are not worked out as yet, but the Internationale’s delegate (eg. me) votes on resolutions based on the way the majority of Internationale members have already voted. I would still do this on every resolution. That still extends to resolutions authored by members of these regions. 

Some of these regions (above) seem to have centrist, liberal, and even some conservative nations in them. This is the basis of some concern of mine as well. That said, The Internationale itself is meant to be an exclusively leftist place,  but depending on the content of this, it might still make sense to play a part in an interregional like this. 

Presumably there will be provisions for new regions to join, but as I said, specifics aren’t worked out as yet. 

• Like 1

All Delegates have made it known (myself included) that they will not accept any sort of treaty which forces their vote. For everyone here though, here’s our mission statement:

The mission of the Interregional Legislative Coalition, herein referred to as the ILC, is to combine the abilities of the undersigned member regions in the World Assembly to accomplish the following: the promotion of responsible World Assembly authorship within the ILC; fostering an atmosphere throughout the ILC which promotes competent, lively, and genial debate; creating a robust interregional community focused on actively participating in the World Assembly; aiding in the passage of resolutions that reflect the shared values of the member regions of ILC, and opposing the passage of resolutions that do not; making known to the World Assembly at-large community the values promoted by the ILC through the aforementioned actions.

• Like 1

Freien    109
On 1/6/2018 at 6:05 PM, Ivory Rhodes said:

All Delegates have made it known (myself included) that they will not accept any sort of treaty which forces their vote.

That erases all concerns I might have, really. I don't see any reason to not move this forward and see how it goes.

• Like 1

Zenganopoli    41

My "yes" vote is indeed a "why not?" vote. I simply don't see anything that could make us say no a priori. Anyway I'm still open to discussing this

• Like 1