Varsala

The Great Patriotic War - TI Roleplay in Jin Gwó

Engke kept an ear on the conversation his comrades were having. After Heishan had finished, he started talking.

"Sister", he told her, "you manage to turn words powerful. That is something we need in these times, when surrounded by all this destruction."

The fisherman then joined the boy and the woman. He told them stories about his youth, spearfishing in the rocky areas by his village. However, he was secretly praying for the kids and their grandmother to find a way to leave for Yaroi City.

21 hours ago, World Anarchic Union said:

Lyra rolled her eyes. The burning midday sun would be nothing but a slight nuisance to her if she hadn’t spent the last three years locked away in a cell, looking at the outside only through small holes in the walls they called “windows” and for a brief hour or two every week. She tried to comfort her aching back but the bumpy ride and hard benches that they were sitting on made her no favors. Soon, a sigh broke her silence. 

She turned to the guards that were standing on the edges of the two sides of the truck. The former pirate slyly smiled and turned to one of them.

”So, how’s your day been, guard? Oh sorry, I meant “comrade”.” She emphasized the last word, her eyes lit up at the clearly uncomfortable guard. “Such silly ways you people here have. Isn’t that right, comrade Thorsten? The “people’s” prisoner guards here probably have never even seen the ocean darken as a storm approaches from the East and calming after the worst has passed, or the waves that crumble between the rocky shores back home.” At that moment she had turned to her fellow pirate and convict, Thorsten Skaanesdag. Loyal to his core, the pirate was one of her most trusted comrades and friends at her time as captain. But his presence was anything but pleasant for her. Imagining such a man as Thorsten locked up away in chains, in a claustrophobic dungeon, away from the sea for how many years was a pain in the heart for Lyra. She knew that for his condition, and for the condition of her other comrades, she was responsible. And now her mistakes had caught up with her. 

“Anyway, how were you all these years, comrade? It mustn’t have been that good if you’re getting ready to jump into the slaughterhouse against the Yiimarians.” She had slightly lowered her voice, addressing Thorsten, who was sitting opposite her in the truck heading to the field, now.

Thorsten sat, in silence as the truck bumped along a barely-developed road, feeling the jolts as the barely existent suspension failed to compensate for stones and holes within the dirt. They had been driving for a long time, and throughout it, he had remained silent, eyes closed, simply listening to the sounds of the vehicle. When Havsvarg said his name, his concentration broke, and he opened his eyes and responded “Well, it was certainly better than what happened to most of the other engineers, but in the end, I certainly would not want to spend most of the rest of my life in prison.”

Leaning back in an attempt to get as comfortable as possible in the rather cramped conditions of the truck, he said “So, what sort of shitty job do you think they’ll give us?”

3 hours ago, Ayanka said:

Huilin is looking at the ground, standing in one of the firing points, in the middle of an improvised shooting range in a wide street. In front of her, the officer who brought her to that place, talking with one of the soldiers doing target practice. Her mind is too busy to pay attention to their conversation. Others like him surround her, either shooting their noisy rifles or watching over those who do it. Some of them turn around for a second to look at Huilin; others tap their neighbour’s shoulder, point at her and start talking about the rare sight. It’s easy to understand why such thing happens, seeing the heavy contrast between Huilin’s physical appearance and theirs.
While it makes her feel embarrassed, right now it’s not her biggest problem. Her heart is racing, her face is looking completely pale and she feels a strong pressure on her chest. Things were already looking bad for Huilin when she headed for the queue to apply for a position in an ammunition factory, but everything took a turn for the worst when she learned she was going to be sent to the front, and even more when she was told she had to fight too. At first she replied hesitantly, saying that there was no way someone like her could do anything useful with a rifle between her arms, but she was feeling too scared to confront the guards and the strong and unequivocal answer the officer gave to her was enough to keep her in silence. 
Not only Huilin does not intend to fight for the revolution nor the fatherland, but she also lacks any ability and strength to do so. She has nothing to do there. She shouldn’t be there. But there she is, and there is nothing she can do but wait, probably for things to go even worse.
Suddenly, the officer points at Huilin. That makes her raise her sight, and look at the soldier he's talking to. He appears to be a Roina. Black beard, fit and with broad shoulders, with not a very different appearance from the rest. Both of them turn towards her, and she looks nervously at them in return.

"Don't worry, comrade, she will be able to shoot a flying sparrow from 200 metres by the end of the day."- He said.
The officer looked at him with a sceptical expression: "I hope so. I know you are good, but I really doubt you can transfer your abilities so easily."
As the officer walked away Nivransu looked at the girl. She didn't seem to be a typical Wari, or at least not a peasant.
"I suppose you are new at this"
The girl was in silence and her face was pale.
"Ok... I suppose you are not specially talkative. Let's see what you can do."
He offered her his rifle but she didn't take it.
"Well, I will do it first. Look, first you pull back the bolt, then you put the cartridge here." He said as he did the whole sequence.
"Now, close, aim... and shoot"
Nivransu shot the target in the center of the head. He looked back at her, but she was still white.
"Hey, I suppose you have never used a firearm and you may be frightened by the perspective of using one. But if you don't learn you won't last 5 minutes out there. I know I am probably talking from a specially uninformed point of view, but this is all I can do for now." - Nivransu said with a tired tone.
He offered her the arm again waiting for another refusal, but that time she took it.

The sight of so many fellow Sedaran gave Fatima a sense of nostalgia. She knew that was probably inappropriate given that soon they would be marching to war but it still brought her some comfort to hear the language of her homeland again. Fatima quickly turned her attention back to the present as her group was called forward to target practice. Carefully adjusting the sights on her father’s old rifle Fatima methodically fired into the targets. Managing two bullseyes and a close shot. Though slightly slower than some of her comrades Fatima felt she compensated with better accuracy. 

For melee drills Fatima was pair off against one of the smaller boys. This drill she dreaded unarmed combat was not her specialty preferring to rely on her nightstick. The techniques she had picked up in street brawls were fairly effective but would no doubt leave some bitterness if used in a training match. Fatima suppressed the urge to deliver a swift kick to the groin and managed to hold out for a few minutes but eventually she had been pinned.

The “interrogation” caught her off guard. “Comrade I think there has been a misunderstanding. I’ve lived here since I was 10. This is as much my home as it is yours. I enlisted in the capital and they assigned me out here. I assume to better make use of my language skills.” Fatima did not mention that she really suspected that the government just wanted all the foreigners in one brigade. “If you need more back in University I did give a dissertation on the necessity of armed struggle in overturning capitalism if you like I could -“ Quickly cutting her off the officer apologized for not recognizing her assuring her that she had a place in the brigade. Once out of sight of the officer, Fatima pulled out a small Red and Anarchist Students League pin and affixed it to her lapel before heading into the main hall to join the rest of the Sedaran soldiers.

17 hours ago, Asturies-Llion said:

"Don't worry, comrade, she will be able to shoot a flying sparrow from 200 metres by the end of the day."- He said.
The officer looked at him with a sceptical expression: "I hope so. I know you are good, but I really doubt you can transfer your abilities so easily."
As the officer walked away Nivransu looked at the girl. She didn't seem to be a typical Wari, or at least not a peasant.
"I suppose you are new at this"
The girl was in silence and her face was pale.
"Ok... I suppose you are not specially talkative. Let's see what you can do."
He offered her his rifle but she didn't take it.
"Well, I will do it first. Look, first you pull back the bolt, then you put the cartridge here." He said as he did the whole sequence.
"Now, close, aim... and shoot"
Nivransu shot the target in the center of the head. He looked back at her, but she was still white.
"Hey, I suppose you have never used a firearm and you may be frightened by the perspective of using one. But if you don't learn you won't last 5 minutes out there. I know I am probably talking from a specially uninformed point of view, but this is all I can do for now." - Nivransu said with a tired tone.
He offered her the arm again waiting for another refusal, but that time she took it.

Huilin takes the rifle with both of her hands. It feels heavy. Way heavier than she imagined at first. She looks at the gun for a few seconds. "I guess there is no other way around...", she thinks to herself.

She puts her right hand on the bolt handle, turns it to the left and tries to pull it back. It's a bit hard for her to open it, but after two more attempts she manages to do it. The empty cartridge previously shot by the soldier flies out of the chamber and into the ground, rolling away. Looking down she sees she doesn't need to put another one, since there are already a few more inside the magazine. She pushes the bolt to its previous position back again, putting another round in the chamber. Carefully, Huilin puts the gun's butt on on her shoulder and raises the gun. Tries to align the sight, pointing towards the target she has in front of her. Her left arm is getting weaker and the rifle starts to shake.

As soon as the sight aligns with the centre of the target, Huilin gently presses the trigger.

[Roll to shoot]

As the boy continues walking, listening to the fisherman's tales, I check the surroundings. Then I lock my look on the officer when she's not looking.

Spoiler

Alright, let's try, do I say in my head, telling myself to keep my calm whatever answer I'm given. Calm. Clouds. Soft breeze and light breath. Cloudy. No, no clouds anymore. On inspiration, two expirations of internal wind, chasing moist air from lungs, mind and sky. Back to the burning sun.To the sun, point, no need to play the Cassandra. My breath is now a part of the water cycle and fighting the sun. Chase and creates clouds. Cuckoolander clouds colander on the head, you. Me.  My breath creates a kind of pink noise, on the white noise of nearby conversations, vegetation grilling, insects trilling, minds thrilling. Next, a rock will roll aside from the frail juggernaut of the wain. Remember the wains, no, the carts of the village. Remember the sound of the rocks under their wheels. I am a rock that will avoid the wheel. No bad cycle this time. Remember him. Remember to stop remembering when the time is not the past. When the rock will roll, I will talk to the officer. I haven't prepared my speech but it must sounds convincing. Shit, I should have focused on this preparation instead of my breath. Why did I do that? Oh yeah, to keep calm. Not a bad option for improvising after all.

A rock rolls.

To the officer.

"Today is the time to reclaim our grilled grain from the Yiimarans, aunt. They grilled it too long and it tastes bitter. But it's still ours, aunt. We can still decide to eat it, give it to buffaloes, or even grill it longer to make polymers out of it. It's time to save our brothers and sisters and reclaim the the revolution for its own sake and for ours and for theirs. This small brother here hasn't grilled now. It could still belong to the upland, or maybe the farther paddies. Do you think the harvest would be better in a year or two?"

Edited by The Decapole counsils

On 10/26/2018 at 11:40 PM, Zrhajan said:

Thorsten sat, in silence as the truck bumped along a barely-developed road, feeling the jolts as the barely existent suspension failed to compensate for stones and holes within the dirt. They had been driving for a long time, and throughout it, he had remained silent, eyes closed, simply listening to the sounds of the vehicle. When Havsvarg said his name, his concentration broke, and he opened his eyes and responded “Well, it was certainly better than what happened to most of the other engineers, but in the end, I certainly would not want to spend most of the rest of my life in prison.”

Leaning back in an attempt to get as comfortable as possible in the rather cramped conditions of the truck, he said “So, what sort of shitty job do you think they’ll give us?”

Lyra whistled playfully as her eyes wandered far beyond the dusty road they were now passing.

”We’ll be sent somewhere dangerous, after all we are expendable meat bags for them. The situation for the reds is dire and they certainly won’t send convicted pirates to anyplace luxurious.”

She blew away a lock of hair from her face and turned back to Thorsten. 

“I guarantee we will be swimming in some muddy marshes or whatever in some days. Who fucking knows, this may be the last time we ever see anything resembling the sea.” She sighed at that point, remembering the last time she had seen a wave, the last time the ocean had hugged her. “Better among corpses than in prison, anyway.” She added, murmuring more to herself than to her fellow convict.

“I am sure engineers will be quite helpful for them and thus you will have some privileges. But let’s wait and see.”

She looked around the truck, her mind aimlessly wandering away. “Who do you think they’ll pair us up with? Other prisoners? Children who have never held a weapon?”

On 10/27/2018 at 6:21 PM, Isla Bucanero said:

The sight of so many fellow Sedaran gave Fatima a sense of nostalgia. She knew that was probably inappropriate given that soon they would be marching to war but it still brought her some comfort to hear the language of her homeland again. Fatima quickly turned her attention back to the present as her group was called forward to target practice. Carefully adjusting the sights on her father’s old rifle Fatima methodically fired into the targets. Managing two bullseyes and a close shot. Though slightly slower than some of her comrades Fatima felt she compensated with better accuracy. 

For melee drills Fatima was pair off against one of the smaller boys. This drill she dreaded unarmed combat was not her specialty preferring to rely on her nightstick. The techniques she had picked up in street brawls were fairly effective but would no doubt leave some bitterness if used in a training match. Fatima suppressed the urge to deliver a swift kick to the groin and managed to hold out for a few minutes but eventually she had been pinned.

The “interrogation” caught her off guard. “Comrade I think there has been a misunderstanding. I’ve lived here since I was 10. This is as much my home as it is yours. I enlisted in the capital and they assigned me out here. I assume to better make use of my language skills.” Fatima did not mention that she really suspected that the government just wanted all the foreigners in one brigade. “If you need more back in University I did give a dissertation on the necessity of armed struggle in overturning capitalism if you like I could -“ Quickly cutting her off the officer apologized for not recognizing her assuring her that she had a place in the brigade. Once out of sight of the officer, Fatima pulled out a small Red and Anarchist Students League pin and affixed it to her lapel before heading into the main hall to join the rest of the Sedaran soldiers.

Mushezibti stood nervously in the main hall, with all the clamour disorienting her. Crowds never were her thing. She however managed to tune out as much as she could, stood against one of the pillars, and began speculating what the Yaroi were going to do with them next. Though there were many Sedaran soldiers here, since the Yaroi didn't trust them enough to directly let them enter the war, even ones like her, who had actually been living there, she suspected that they would simply be confined to being a reserve force, and not involved much in the dynamics of the war. This would stop her from playing her part in the Revolution, which would be something she wouldn't like at all. Moreover, given that the Yaroi are in a disadvantaged position at present, it could mean their defeat, and thus the failure of the revolution. This prospect chilled her spine and she broke into a cold sweat.

"If this happens, we're done for...", she thought.

Then she realised that she might not be alone in assuming this. There could be others among all these young and quick-witted activists and brave defiers, who fought against fascist goons, the police and the like back in Sedara, or even in some other country for that matter, that could sense something wrong now. But she would need to talk to someone first and this wasn't something she was too good at. However, after several moments of hesitation, she decides to brave up for the Revolution's sake, and approaches a short and stocky female fellow soldier standing a few feet away, a member of the Red and Anarchist students' league, as could be deduced from her badge.

"Err...Hello comrade. Do you sense anything fishy here? I mean, the Yaroi seem to suspect us a lot. They treat us as if, as if we are very dangerous things, like sharp pieces of glass that'll cut them anytime...What do you, err, think of this? Do you, err, think that something's brewing in their minds?"

[First of all, sorry i took so long to finally respond, my country has been in havoc these days and combining my terrible mood about it with the fact i had been busy with college affairs slowed me down these days, but here comes a fresh reply]

A guard was overhearing the conversation between the two pirates -as there really was no way to not hear it on that cramped small wagon- and rolled his eyes at the questioning that the conscripts made to each other.
"You go to the field, obviously. If you are so brave to go around raiding innocent villages, sure as hell you are brave enough to shoot some Yiimarans on the frontlines." the guard said in a tired, ill humored tone, doing so while cleaning his rifle and not even looking at the prisoners. "If the damned monarchists don't shoot you 'tween the eyes before you can even see 'em." he continued, saying that for he knew many Svaalians had somewhat of a grudge against Yiimara, as it was one of the only two naval powers in this world that can keep the pirates at bay.

This way, the truck kept going on its bumpy ride towards Yiin'tar

Not too far from there, the improvised cart pulled by horses was on its slow way towards the brigade that stood only a kilometer away from the "No Man's Land", a strip of burnt, abandoned soil that had the Yiimara and Yaroi armies each set their trenches at each side of the land strip, on a way that was nearly impossible for any living thing to cross it, for any movement there would cause both sides to open fire. The first destination of both the cart and the truck would end up being on that brigade at the face of hell.
@World Anarchic Union@Zrhajan

Hearing the words of that woman only made the little boy's will even stronger to follow the army. The officer who had spoken moments ago stared with concern, by orders she couldn't deny a voluntary conscription even of someone who showed no conditions to fight, but anyway, she calmed herself in her mind by assuring in her thoughts that the child would just be dropped at the brigade to be taken to dig holes or help build tracks, some work of that sort.
The boy kept, even if somewhat weakly, running after the cart, his siblings and grandmother following along. Although, very soon the old lady clearly showed she had no strength to keep chasing a wagon. With that, she called back for the boy's name, Hou Tao, and he turned back as the elder opened her arms and waved for him to come close.
He knew what it meant, his grandmother was calling him for a farewell. Hou Tao ran to her and hugged the grandma strongly, the old lady's eyes filling with tears, his sisters crowding up to hug him too as the elder said a few words, telling him to be strong, be smart, be fearless, and always remember the name of his family members and of his birthplace. Before letting him go, one of the sisters took off the long but simple scarf she wore as an apron, tying it as a belt on the boy's waist both as a reminder of them and telling him it would be of good use to have a belt to hold weapons to.
The man guiding the horse even slowed the chariot down to wait for the boy, who soon after the goodbyes came running back to his tracks, his sisters standing behind him waving goodbye and shouting words of encouragement.
"Go, Hou Tao! I hope you become a very brave soldier! i want to hear your stories of war when you come back!!" shouted the older sister, still holding grandma's hand as she waved with the other hand. And Hou Tao looked back for a last time, waving to his sisters. "Pray for the ghosts of mom and dad, pray for them to see me being brave!" he replied with his infantile enthusiasm before resuming to following the soldiers, the voices of his sisters each time more distant. Soon he was by the cart's side, showing a impressive resilience by running after it even if he was clearly malnourished and tired. He was, although, soon distracted from his tiredness by the soldier who came to tell him stories.

The officer in charge of that small bundle of soldiers just turned her face away, having a concerned look in her eyes once she turned to just stare at the path in front of them, and only seemed to break from her concentration at her own thoughts when the peasant soldier talked to her, making she turn to face Heishan. Hearing that small speech from her recruit seemed to put a feint smirk on her lips that she put away as soon as it showed up.
"You come to war with the right spirit, sister. We will take back from the Yiimarans what is ours, and hopefully liberate the lands beyond the borders." she said with a calm but firm tone. "The seasons will continue to pass upon our heads, no matter the will of men, Yiimara or Yaroi, and the lands doesn't need us to flourish as it always did. But im sure in my heart once this war is over the entire land will again be collective property of all the workers who seek refuge on it
, coming back to claim it once the spoil of war no longer taints the land."
She sighed deeply after saying that. The woman was clearly young, yet her eyes had dark circles and wrinkles around it from the toil of stress and sleepless nights since she was given this job. Those eyes looked then to Engke, who was at the little boy's side.
"You know we can't take that kid where we are going, right? He will have to stay at he brigade, and im not taking responsibility for anything further from that." she huffed her words and looked back ahead.
@Countriopia@The Decapole counsils

The officer and the guards listened to the story that the Twai pulled up, looking at each other and seeming to both believe it but at the same time find him suspicious. Once the case was handed to the officer, Vlad promptly started squeezing it around and tapping on it to check for any hidden pockets that could hide things like drugs or even documents, but his inspection seemed to attest there was nothing much suspicious there, and since the man had already been checked for weapons, the guards unhanded him once it was requested.
"If this man truly is just what he says, he can be welcomed to our ranks." the old officer said twitching his mustache afterwards, givinh out a low, long 'hhmmmm'.
"Comrade Uljanov, you should show this lad the path for the recruitment section, we will need to get him documented before we can take him to the medical exam." he gestured with an open hand to the comrade then to the Twai, putting a hand on the other Heibai's shoulder. The mentioned medical exam being more of a quick inspection to see if the subject was healthy enough to take on the battlefield.
"After he is checked, he should be sent to the shooting practice." he tapped the other's shoulder, then spoke the next sentence on a different dialect, leaning to Sergej, clearly having the intention that the Fogliame wouldn't understand him. "And keep an eye out for him. Warn me of anything odd."
@Burninati0n@Normansveldet

@Vegan Reich@Isla Bucanero [Please proceed with your dialogue, after Isla Bucanero's next reply i will write your part]

Huilin: Roll to shoot. Roll difficulty = High [weak I, low endurance I] Minimum score for success: 18
Result of the roll: 19
(Woah that was one lucky ass roll lmao)

As the little lady pulled the trigger, the heavy rifle, which was nearly her size in length, kicked back to her shoulder with enough force to actually push her backwards on a quite violent manner, nearly causing the woman to fall on her back. Yet, impressively, the shot had hit the target, not on the bull's eye, but close enough to call it accurate.
The officer who was nearby, the same one who had assigned the Roina hunter to teach the lady to shoot, angrily huffed and put a hand to his face rubbing his temples, shaking his head at the pathetic manner the girl had been tossed back by the gun.
"I've seen small children hold the kick of the rifle better than you!! How do you even plan to stay alive on the battlefield!?" he spat out his words with anger and paced quickly towards her, snatching the riffle from her hands.
"Can't your jelly arms hold this shit properly!? Damned bourgeoisie, do you expect that others will have to work to keep your skin smooth and your belly round for the rest of your life!?!" and despite he was not yelling, the anger on his tone over her incompetence was very clear, so much that his anger didn't even let him realize that the poor scientist had actually gotten a nearly perfect shot.
@Ayanka

@Asturies-Llion

OOC: Sorry for the holdup. Real life agro as we used to say.

@Vegan Reich As you approach Fatima she smiles at you earnestly. After hearing your question Fatima takes a deep breath thinking before carefully saying “The problem is there is no more “they”. Yao Meng’s word is all that matters now. I think if he wanted no Sedaran soldiers we would not be here. But in the long term, our fate hangs on the paranoia of an absolutely powerful general. I doubt we’re going to get deported or worse but I fear we may be treated as disposable. I don’t know perhaps he will be more humane than I expect, but absolute power corrupts absolutely. As for these officers, I think regardless of what their intentions are we can watch out for each other.”

• Like 1

Though he suspects things will not go well, Fogliame says nothing at the mention of learning to shoot...

On 10/31/2018 at 2:53 PM, Varsala said:

[First of all, sorry i took so long to finally respond, my country has been in havoc these days and combining my terrible mood about it with the fact i had been busy with college affairs slowed me down these days, but here comes a fresh reply]

A guard was overhearing the conversation between the two pirates -as there really was no way to not hear it on that cramped small wagon- and rolled his eyes at the questioning that the conscripts made to each other.
"You go to the field, obviously. If you are so brave to go around raiding innocent villages, sure as hell you are brave enough to shoot some Yiimarans on the frontlines." the guard said in a tired, ill humored tone, doing so while cleaning his rifle and not even looking at the prisoners. "If the damned monarchists don't shoot you 'tween the eyes before you can even see 'em." he continued, saying that for he knew many Svaalians had somewhat of a grudge against Yiimara, as it was one of the only two naval powers in this world that can keep the pirates at bay.

This way, the truck kept going on its bumpy ride towards Yiin'tar

Not too far from there, the improvised cart pulled by horses was on its slow way towards the brigade that stood only a kilometer away from the "No Man's Land", a strip of burnt, abandoned soil that had the Yiimara and Yaroi armies each set their trenches at each side of the land strip, on a way that was nearly impossible for any living thing to cross it, for any movement there would cause both sides to open fire. The first destination of both the cart and the truck would end up being on that brigade at the face of hell.

Hearing the guard interrupt, Thorsten let out an exasperated sigh before saying "Listen here, you blithering bell-end, I wasn't talking to you, I was talking to my captain, so it would be deeply appreciated if you were to not interrupt. Beyond which, I think it rather goes without saying that we're going to be sent to the field, and it would take a moron of nigh-impossible proportions to fail to realize that. Also, you think that I went on raids? I don't have an overly high view of you and your ilk in the first place, but surely you have at least the brains to realize that sending an engineer onto a raid is a bad idea, yeah?"

Turning back to Havsvarg, he said “Anyway, where were we? Right, we were talking about who we’d be working with. My assumption would be that they’d put people like us in with at least some true believers, along with rookies. The people who are dedicated to the cause would keep us from being too outspoken, but if they’re resorting to recruiting criminals, they probably can’t field all too many truly experienced veterans, so they’d want to distribute them at least somewhat.”

1 hour ago, Zrhajan said:

Hearing the guard interrupt, Thorsten let out an exasperated sigh before saying "Listen here, you blithering bell-end, I wasn't talking to you, I was talking to my captain, so it would be deeply appreciated if you were to not interrupt. Beyond which, I think it rather goes without saying that we're going to be sent to the field, and it would take a moron of nigh-impossible proportions to fail to realize that. Also, you think that I went on raids? I don't have an overly high view of you and your ilk in the first place, but surely you have at least the brains to realize that sending an engineer onto a raid is a bad idea, yeah?"

Turning back to Havsvarg, he said “Anyway, where were we? Right, we were talking about who we’d be working with. My assumption would be that they’d put people like us in with at least some true believers, along with rookies. The people who are dedicated to the cause would keep us from being too outspoken, but if they’re resorting to recruiting criminals, they probably can’t field all too many truly experienced veterans, so they’d want to distribute them at least somewhat.”

Lyra turned to the soldier who had spoken, a smile forming on her face as she realized he wasn’t looking at her. 

“But I, mister prison guard, went on raids. I wasn’t cruel to civilians, not like you’d expect from someone of my profession. But to people of your profession, well, let’s say killing soldiers isn’t something I am going to do for the first time.” She waited for a moment before continuing. “And they certainly weren’t all Yiimarians.”

After a brief minute, her eyes traversed back to the captive engineer. 

“Yes, something like that seems possible. The dedicated reds will be the difficult ones to handle, although the rookies may pose a threat as well. Some of them may have some preconceived notions about our profession like the guy here.” She pointed to the guard while emphasizing the last two words of her sentence. “Perhaps we should scare the rookies a bit as we get there. Make them have second thoughts about attempting weird things under the blanket of the night. “ 

She glanced at the road they were passing by. It felt the same as the last two hours, just an neverending grayness surrounding the barren view. A sigh came out of her lips. 

“If we return home, Thorsten, will you visit your family? Do you have people back home?” Her voice seemed to crack at her final words but she hid it as best as she could, instead continuing to stare at the clear sky and the landscape that the truck was going through, continuing on and on...

To the officer:
"I guess it's a comfort to know that he will be in place where he will eat enough to become the strong soldier he may have destined to be, aunt. But since you told us he won't come with us, I get that we have an already precise goal for this cart to go. Do you know when we will be briefed about it? To me, nothing beats preparedness. I must concede that I'm pretty curious of what special thing a bunch of rookies like me and the comrade fisherman can and will do."

On 10/31/2018 at 2:53 PM, Varsala said:

Huilin: Roll to shoot. Roll difficulty = High [weak I, low endurance I] Minimum score for success: 18
Result of the roll: 19
(Woah that was one lucky ass roll lmao)

As the little lady pulled the trigger, the heavy rifle, which was nearly her size in length, kicked back to her shoulder with enough force to actually push her backwards on a quite violent manner, nearly causing the woman to fall on her back. Yet, impressively, the shot had hit the target, not on the bull's eye, but close enough to call it accurate.
The officer who was nearby, the same one who had assigned the Roina hunter to teach the lady to shoot, angrily huffed and put a hand to his face rubbing his temples, shaking his head at the pathetic manner the girl had been tossed back by the gun.
"I've seen small children hold the kick of the rifle better than you!! How do you even plan to stay alive on the battlefield!?" he spat out his words with anger and paced quickly towards her, snatching the riffle from her hands.
"Can't your jelly arms hold this shit properly!? Damned bourgeoisie, do you expect that others will have to work to keep your skin smooth and your belly round for the rest of your life!?!" and despite he was not yelling, the anger on his tone over her incompetence was very clear, so much that his anger didn't even let him realize that the poor scientist had actually gotten a nearly perfect shot.
@Ayanka

@Asturies-Llion

- Hey, leave her alone! Don't you see she has shot next to the bull's eye? All she needs is an arm for her size, this one is too big. - Nivransu said angrily while taking the rifle from the officer's arms.

- Are you defending a bourgeois? - the officer said laughing loudly-  An insolent and counterrevolutionary Roina, interesting...

- Comrade, not every person was born knowing how to shoot, except you, apparently. - he said right after the officer - I really doubt a bourgeois would ever join us in our fight, and if one of them does, she should be welcome.

- I have never trusted people like you, Roina. I have heard that the revolution failed there, maybe you liked Yiimarans too much. Also, the Roina Revolutionary Council has given us a very good opinion about you, they told us about your feats and of course, your past.

Nivransu's face was full of anger.

- Yes, your past, Roina. I bet your family had many privileges with the Yiimaran. Why are you here? Did you decide to turn your coat in order to survive?- he continued.

- Nobody chooses where to be born.

- Sure, but I am sure some enjoy it more than others. - the officer said with a cunning smile.

Nivransu howled and tried to hit him in the face, but the other Roina held him.

"Nivran, it is not worth it." Some of them said.

- This won't happen again, ok, royal hunter? - he looked at the other soldiers - Come on, give her a lighter rifle.

Edited by Asturies-Llion

On 10/31/2018 at 9:53 AM, Varsala said:

The officer and the guards listened to the story that the Twai pulled up, looking at each other and seeming to both believe it but at the same time find him suspicious. Once the case was handed to the officer, Vlad promptly started squeezing it around and tapping on it to check for any hidden pockets that could hide things like drugs or even documents, but his inspection seemed to attest there was nothing much suspicious there, and since the man had already been checked for weapons, the guards unhanded him once it was requested.
"If this man truly is just what he says, he can be welcomed to our ranks." the old officer said twitching his mustache afterwards, givinh out a low, long 'hhmmmm'.
"Comrade Uljanov, you should show this lad the path for the recruitment section, we will need to get him documented before we can take him to the medical exam." he gestured with an open hand to the comrade then to the Twai, putting a hand on the other Heibai's shoulder. The mentioned medical exam being more of a quick inspection to see if the subject was healthy enough to take on the battlefield.
"After he is checked, he should be sent to the shooting practice." he tapped the other's shoulder, then spoke the next sentence on a different dialect, leaning to Sergej, clearly having the intention that the Fogliame wouldn't understand him. "And keep an eye out for him. Warn me of anything odd."

On 10/31/2018 at 6:27 PM, Burninati0n said:

Though he suspects things will not go well, Fogliame says nothing at the mention of learning to shoot...

(OOC: Here awaiting a response from @Normansveldet before moving on.)

On 11/21/2018 at 2:37 PM, Burninati0n said:

(OOC: Here awaiting a response from @Normansveldet before moving on.)

(I totally didn't forget to respond I don't know what you mean)

Sergej looks the officer in the eyes and nods before turning back to the Twai. "Well then comrade, to recruitment it is. You don't need to worry about them, they're fine people. They just don't get to do their job often out here." Sergej reaches out his hand in the direction of the recruitment section. "Just follow me over this way and I'll help however I can."

(Hello there, folks. Been quite inactive lately due to me being sick in bed for several days. I'm still recovering slowly so don't expect me to be very active these next days. I'll keep posting in this thread as well as doing some of my basic NS duties anyway whenever I'm able to, though I will try and take a break from the Discord server in order to rest a bit).

On 11/20/2018 at 10:13 PM, Asturies-Llion said:

- Hey, leave her alone! Don't you see she has shot next to the bull's eye? All she needs is an arm for her size, this one is too big. - Nivransu said angrily while taking the rifle from the officer's arms.

- Are you defending a bourgeois? - the officer said laughing loudly-  An insolent and counterrevolutionary Roina, interesting...

- Comrade, not every person was born knowing how to shoot, except you, apparently. - he said right after the officer - I really doubt a bourgeois would ever join us in our fight, and if one of them does, she should be welcome.

- I have never trusted people like you, Roina. I have heard that the revolution failed there, maybe you liked Yiimarans too much. Also, the Roina Revolutionary Council has given us a very good opinion about you, they told us about your feats and of course, your past.

Nivransu's face was full of anger.

- Yes, your past, Roina. I bet your family had many privileges with the Yiimaran. Why are you here? Did you decide to turn your coat in order to survive?- he continued.

- Nobody chooses where to be born.

- Sure, but I am sure some enjoy it more than others. - the officer said with a cunning smile.

Nivransu howled and tried to hit him in the face, but the other Roina held him.

"Nivran, it is not worth it." Some of them said.

- This won't happen again, ok, royal hunter? - he looked at the other soldiers - Come on, give her a lighter rifle.

The tiny spark of happiness that appears on Huilin's mind as she sees that, indeed, she inexplicably almost hit the bull's eye, soon disappears as the conversation between the officer and what now she knows is a hunter continues. Although she almost doesn't move during the whole time, she can feel the rest of the whole place going quieter and quieter as their discussion gets louder. The sound of guns firing starts fading away and she begins to feel dozens of stares on her back as her face turns red of embarrassment. Not even doing things right makes things go better for her.

And finally, when the Roina tries to punch the officer in the face, she has to make an effort not to faint. She had it clear: "Either I get killed in the jungle by the Yiimarans or shot by a firing squad at the side of this hunter with anger issues", she thought.

Huilin takes her glasses slowly with her left hand as she lowers her head and covers her face with the other one.

She's screwed.

• Like 1

Gliame rags along with Sergej, jogging to catch up. “So,” he tries, “how do they decide what kinds of jobs one does?” 

( @Normansveldet )

Edited by Burninati0n

[First of all, i need to give the news that, unfortunately and due to fair reasons, Vegan Reich was expelled from the region and can no longer play in this roleplay, as i don't think it would be fair to allow someone who was banned by breech of conduct to continue participating on a special activity for our members. Lets keep it lowkey, no need to worries, but for the while, i will take control of their character and it now becomes an NPC. What fate she awaits is now entirely at my decision, but the story will go on and i will not leave Isla Bucanero without a turn partner, doing that role myself until their character manages to reach another group of players

Second thing, i have said this in Discord chat but im aware not everyone is there and maybe not everyone saw it. Asturies Llion, in his last turn, took control of an NPC character and made a dialogue with him. It was previously discussed in private and agreed with that on this occasion this move would be ok, but please:  If for any reason you decide you want to interfere by taking control of anything that isn't your own character, TALK TO ME FIRST! Because as Game Master, i am supposed to play the role of the NPCs and of every object and ambiance you interact with, and trying to take control of anything other than your own character may disrupt the game or even break the quest if the action interferes with a important scene. So, its not entirely forbidden to do so, but if you wish to manipulate anything other than your character (or objects that your character can directly control), then please talk to me in Discord or by Telegram on Nationstates previously explaining what exactly you wish to do, and if i think its appropriate i can give you the permission. Its not to be a fun spoiler, just that this is a rule to prevent a player from (even if accidentally) disrupting the flow of a scene]

"Those are going to only give us trouble! Who that scrawny Svaalian thinks he is to respond to an authority like that?" a guard told the other, clear that he had no intentions of hiding his words from the pirates.
"Whatever, they may come in handy. Heard that one is an engineer." the other replied, the two guards now just seeming to chat on their own and ignoring the conscripts.
"Pffffffffffft" the first one replied blowing a raspberry. "For my grandfather's beard, its a pirate! For all we know that kid could have been the mook assigned to take water from the ship's bottom with a bucket and they called that an 'engineer'." he huffed impatiently and leaned his back against the untrustworthy bars of the truck's wall, pulling a very simple cigarette wallet from his pocket and taking a cig from it hastily, putting it between his lips and going forth to search for a lighter on his pockets, fumbling with them.
So, the time was running lazy on that place as the truck's wheels paced the path in front of them, each torturing kilometer after the other. Until then, in the midst of that scene, a strange buzzing noise was heard.

BBBBBZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
And the officer nearly dropped the cig from his mouth as he scowled, tilting back to pull the canvas to see the outside, looking disturbed.
"Aye!" a shout came from the driver's cabin "Yiimaran planes! Im seein some ov them comin this direction!!" and the man sounded really distressed about that. They knew that if Yiimaran planes were coming over towards where they came from, either they were going to be bombed now and here or someone behind them would receive that unlucky fate, making they lose more troops and supplies they can't afford.

@World Anarchic Union@Zrhajan

The officer didn't look back to the soldier as she replied to her question. "We goin' to a brigade post near the No Man's Land." so she lazily leaned a bit against the edge of the shoddy improvised chariot. The No Man's Land was no pretty place, a war front that stays quiet as a graveyard during day, and has nonstop attacks during the dead darkness of night, although at any time of the day that anyone tries to cross it, they are sure to be met with open fire from both sides.
"They are needing some good brave Yaroii who are willing to cross to the other side of that front, where the Yiimarans are making camp. So for sure when we drop there, we will end up on the command of some commandant higher than me." she said that with a sigh nearly as if it was a relief that she wasn't going to be the final end responsible for everyone there and was just there to organize small squads. "So you better gather all the preparedness you can harness, sister, we will need it to cross hellfire."
Saying that, she took a look at the horizon, squinting and putting a hand over her eyes to cover them from the burning Yaroi sun.
"I can tell by now we're close, we must arrive there very soon." she then pointed the horizon, where it could be seen a large and long patch of darkened, burned empty land that had trenches that could be seen from far.
@Countriopia@The Decapole counsils

The duo were passing through the place as the other officers eyed them, specially Gliame, from up and down as if he had cooties, probably thinking he maybe actually have. And on that, they were heaving to a larger room that had a line of people sticking from it, where it could be seen that in the inside people were being measured, weighed, probed and questioned. Certainly, that was the conscription office.

The other Sedaran woman nodded to her newly met comrade, sighing slightly and seeming to not take the subject further in order to not draw attention from the Yaroi guards that were watching the foreigners who were talking to each other.
"I think it is best to save the critics to that name when we are in private.." Mushezibti said in a lower tone, looking at a guard from the corner of her eyes, who was squinting at them.
"But you're right... I just hope their Revolutionary spirit is actually above any prejudice here." she sighed and took another glance at Fatima.
As they were in that talk, guard then approached them, who was holding a small open box filled with papers in it.
"You two.. Are you making friends up there?" the guard commented, his tone showing some mockery but more to just a distracted joke than actual malice.
"If so, better hope you end in the same unit. The chief said to draw out who goes to where, since we have been having problems to get people to volunteer to going to some of the missions we are needing personnel the most." he continued on an absent tone.
"Go on, grab your numbers." he shook she small box that was filled with little folded papers.

@Isla Bucanero

The whole commotion was clearly not well seen on the eyes of the officers there, the one who war nearly punched by the royal hunter seeming to be about to tackle the insolent sniper, when another officer then firmly grabbed him by the shoulder and pulled him back a step.
That one officer, who seemed even grumpier than the other, gave a throaty growl before speaking. "What shameful display of incompetent indiscipline are you two trying to show here!?" he let go off the other officer, who was certainly a couple patents below him, and who eyes him squinting and hissing, seeming to have words in the tip of his tongue to spit but not the courage to let them out.
The lower officer then growled as the higher one was staring at the Roina intensely. "This insolent royal servant thinks he can tell me how to do my job!" he halff muttered like an angry dog.
The higher officer squinted with disdain at his subaltern, and cleared his throat.
"Well maybe he can, if he is paying more attention to what the recruits are doing than you!" his voice showed a tired anger, as if he was speaking to some ignoramus. His glance then went to the short woman, and he shook his head sighing deeply and audibly with a hiss of clear impatience.
"You bunch of incompetents can't even look at a woman and tell the fucking size of the gun she should be holding!" he barked out while already looking down to his belt, fumbling with it as he pulled a revolver, in good shape but seeming to be quite used already, and grabbed Huilin's hand forcefully, pulling it to him and shoving the gun to her palm.
"Here, glass eyes. Try this one now!" he spoke putting Huilin's hands to the gun and holding it in front of her, as if putting her on a position already ready to shoot.
"Hold it with both your hands if your arms are made of gelatin, but show me you can get a decent shot with it without tumbling like a clumsy panda, for the Meng's beard!"

@Asturies-Llion@Ayanka

Edited by Varsala

17 hours ago, Burninati0n said:

Gliame rags along with Sergej, jogging to catch up. “So,” he tries, “how do they decide what kinds of jobs one does?” 

( @Normansveldet )

Sergej strokes his beard for a second before responding "Well, that really depends on where conscription decides to send you, which again depends on how busy they are. If we're lucky they're not that busy."

15 hours ago, Varsala said:

The duo were passing through the place as the other officers eyed them, specially Gliame, from up and down as if he had cooties, probably thinking he maybe actually have. And on that, they were heaving to a larger room that had a line of people sticking from it, where it could be seen that in the inside people were being measured, weighed, probed and questioned. Certainly, that was the conscription office.

Sergej lets out a low sigh before saying "Well this is the busiest I've ever seen this place. It's normally pretty empty so I wonder what's going on. Mabye we lost a push?" He starts stroking his beard and getting a worried look at his face. "Hope nothing too bad has happened, not that worrying is going to do anything about this." He stops stroking his beard and examines the line for a moment. "Doesn't look like it should take too long, best if you just get in line now and get it over with. I'll go see if they need any help."

Edited by Normansveldet
stupid typo

On 11/27/2018 at 2:02 AM, Varsala said:

The whole commotion was clearly not well seen on the eyes of the officers there, the one who war nearly punched by the royal hunter seeming to be about to tackle the insolent sniper, when another officer then firmly grabbed him by the shoulder and pulled him back a step.
That one officer, who seemed even grumpier than the other, gave a throaty growl before speaking. "What shameful display of incompetent indiscipline are you two trying to show here!?" he let go off the other officer, who was certainly a couple patents below him, and who eyes him squinting and hissing, seeming to have words in the tip of his tongue to spit but not the courage to let them out.
The lower officer then growled as the higher one was staring at the Roina intensely. "This insolent royal servant thinks he can tell me how to do my job!" he halff muttered like an angry dog.
The higher officer squinted with disdain at his subaltern, and cleared his throat.
"Well maybe he can, if he is paying more attention to what the recruits are doing than you!" his voice showed a tired anger, as if he was speaking to some ignoramus. His glance then went to the short woman, and he shook his head sighing deeply and audibly with a hiss of clear impatience.
"You bunch of incompetents can't even look at a woman and tell the fucking size of the gun she should be holding!" he barked out while already looking down to his belt, fumbling with it as he pulled a revolver, in good shape but seeming to be quite used already, and grabbed Huilin's hand forcefully, pulling it to him and shoving the gun to her palm.
"Here, glass eyes. Try this one now!" he spoke putting Huilin's hands to the gun and holding it in front of her, as if putting her on a position already ready to shoot.
"Hold it with both your hands if your arms are made of gelatin, but show me you can get a decent shot with it without tumbling like a clumsy panda, for the Meng's beard!"

And once more, Huilin has to go through the same experience all over again. Another firearm in her hands, the same target in front of her and a bunch of impatient and dissatisfied officers surrounding her and looking at the smallest of her movements.

Arms forward, right hand in the grip, index finger softly touching the trigger. The new officer had the detail of leaving her ready in position to shoot. Left hand's palm under the grip, holding the gun's weight. The good news are that the piece of metal that now she has to hold now feels much less heavy than the previous. Right leg slightly behind the other one. With some luck this may help her in repeating her previous little miracle. Left eye closed, right eye looking at the bull's eye through the sight. Only her pulse and the feeling of nervousness of the situation were the responsibles of the now much smaller shaking of the gun.

And again, when she sees that the sight aligns with the center of the target, she presses the trigger back.

[Roll to shoot]

Edited by Ayanka

Huilin: Roll to shoot. Roll difficulty = Medium-high [weak I, low endurance I; but this time the gun is smaller] Minimum score for success: 15
Result of the roll: 16
(Bro you keep rolling just one number above the needed lol)

As Huilin fires the gun, the recoil is strong enough that her hands jerk back, but not enough to hurt her nor make her lose her stood ground.
And the shot, it was very good shot. It didn't hit the bull's eye, but it landed nicely just on the ring directly before it, making it a really decent shot.

Seeing that, the grumpy officer scowled as he looked to his peer.
"See! You bucket heads, none of you know how to teach a woman to shoot!" he half shouted and pushed the other officer on the shoulder, poking him angrily, then gave a slap to Huilin's back.
"Take that ol' pistol with you, girl. You will need the luck on it if you plan to get in the jungle with those arms and a bunch of airheads who can't tell the proper equipment to give to a bourgeois travestied as a specialist!" he squinted at Huilin after saying that, and glared at the officer and the sniper.
@Ayanka@Asturies-Llion

Edited by Varsala

[Also, to let everyone know, due to the long wait for replies and people being really eager to play, i decided to also start doing individual turns or turns with just one pair. Although i won't do too many of them with a same person before the whole group advances on the same pace, of course, its mostly to speed up things like dialogues.]