Charter of The Internationale
Name, Purpose, and Flag
- The region is named "The Internationale," after the revolutionary anthem written by Eugène Pottier.
- The purpose of The Internationale is to create a safe, democratic, transparent, pan-leftist network consisting of socialist, communist, and anarchist revolutionaries in NationStates.
- The flag of The Internationale consists of a white background overlaid by the black flag of anarchism and red flag of socialism within a black circle, on which are inscribed the words "The Internationale Unites the Human Race."
- Solidarity with all the oppressed and exploited peoples of the world! The Internationale seeks to unite the masses, under the banner of revolutionary emancipation, against the reactionaries and ruling class.
- Capitalism is a system that exploits workers for profit! Under capitalism, working men and women work and are separated from the fruits of their labor. The Internationale stands for the overthrow of the capitalist system and wholesale replacement with socialism.
- Fascism is not an opinion; it is a crime! Fascism stands for oppression, curtailing political and civil rights, enslavement, discrimination, imprisonment, and political violence. The Internationale fights fascism with all means at our disposal.
- Imperialism is capitalism in decay! Imperialism exploits whole peoples to generate wealth for corporations and businessmen abroad. The Internationale seeks to smash the capitalist system and end the oppression it creates and exports through imperialism.
- Sorry for the inconvenience, but this is a revolution! The Internationale stands for resistance against capitalism, fascism, imperialism, and all reactionary forces.
- The Internationale operates under strict principles of direct democracy and consensus democracy! All decision-making is subject to the will of the masses, and elected volunteers carry out their mandate.
Residence and Comrade Membership
- Residence in The Internationale is open to all socialist, communist, anarchist, and sympathetic left-wing players in NationStates.
- Anarcho-capitalists, anti-communists, fascists, National Bolsheviks, Nazis, and otherwise hostile players are prohibited from residence within The Internationale.
- Players in breach of the Regional Code of Conduct (to be established separately by legislation) shall forfeit their right to residence.
- All nations residing within The Internationale, in agreement with its principles and compliant with the requirements for residence and duties of comrade membership, are considered Comrade Members of The Internationale.
Rights and Duties of Comrade Members
Rights of Comrade Members
- All Comrade Members of The Internationale have the right to vote and stand for elections.
Duties of Comrade Members
- It is the duty of all Comrade Members who are World Assembly member nations residing within The Internationale to endorse the democratically-elected Comrade WA Delegate.
- It is the duty of all Comrade Members of The Internationale to adhere to the regional voting conduct, as outlined in Article VI, Section 2.
- It is the duty of all Comrade Members of The Internationale to refrain from posting to the Regional Message Board, the regional Discord server, or forums of The Internationale any personal attacks; spam; or oppressive speech involving racism, sexism, homophobia, transphobia, ableism, heteronormativism, or other reactionary attitudes.
- Rights of Comrade Members
- Any region that The Internationale maintains embassies with is considered an ally of The Internationale.
- Embassy regions must have the Anarchist, Anti-Fascist, Communist, or Socialist tag.
- Regions with the Anti-Communist, Capitalist, Fascist, Imperialist, Mercenary, Monarchist, Patriarchal, Puppet Storage, Theocratic, or Totalitarian tags are ineligible to construct embassies with The Internationale.
- Regions occupied by non-native forces are ineligible to construct embassies with The Internationale, with the exception of regions in line with all other Embassy Requirements of The Internationale that are proposed by a Comrade Member of The Internationale.
- Regions with fewer than five World Assembly member nations are ineligible to hold embassies with The Internationale, with the exception of regions in line with all other Embassy Requirements of The Internationale that are proposed by a Comrade Member of The Internationale.
- Regions maintaining embassies with regions with the Anti-Communist, Capitalist, Fascist, Imperialist, or Patriarchal tags are ineligible to hold embassies with The Internationale.
- The Internationale is committed to encouraging resistance against the forces of capitalism, fascism, imperialism, and oppression, generally, throughout The World.
- The Internationale permits democratically-accepted socialist, communist, anarchist, or anti-fascist military organizations to recruit from its regional population.
- Members of The Internationale who participate in military actions alongside recognized, reputable anti-fascist and Leftist militaries such as The Red Fleet without holding membership in these militaries may do so in the name of "The Internationale Brigades."
- The Internationale operates by democratic mandate expressed through votes and discussion by the Comrade Members of The Internationale.
- The standard voting period is seven days.
- Votes conclude at midnight U.S. Eastern Time (UTC -5/-4 in summer) after 7 days from the nearest midnight.
- Comrade Members of The Internationale may vote FOR, VETO, or ABSTAIN on matters up for the vote.
- Votes are cast on the off-site forum of The Internationale, unless otherwise unavailable. If the off-site forum is unavailable, then votes will be cast on the Regional Message Board.
- As a single veto under consensus votes causes a matter to fail, Comrade Members who cast a veto must present an explanation for their vote. A veto cast without an explanation will be counted as an abstention.
- A Comrade Member is granted one vote, and may not use additional nations to cast additional votes.
- A Comrade Member may change their vote on a matter up for the vote at any time up until that vote ends.
- If a Comrade Member fails to maintain a nation in The Internationale and thereby forfeits comrade membership, all votes cast by the member in an active matter up for the vote are discarded.
- Consensus decision-making is used for Charter ratification, Charter amendment, legislation, treaty ratification, treaty annulment, embassy construction, embassy closure, and other proposals not otherwise covered in this article.
- Twenty days prior to the conclusion of the term of any sitting elected representative, a period for nominations will open for a new representative. Comrades may self-nominate themselves as a candidate, or be nominated by other comrades. Any comrade nominated by a third party must publicly accept the nomination to be considered an eligible candidate. All candidates are encouraged to develop and share a platform for their candidacy. Nominations will close after ten days.
- The election period for any elected representative begins ten days prior to the conclusion of the sitting representative’s term.
- Any eligible candidate who runs against no opposition will be elected automatically to the office for which they have been nominated.
- Elections between multiple eligible candidates will be decided by instant-runoff voting.
- Elected terms begin precisely at the conclusion of the election.
- Elected representatives may voluntarily resign, or have their mandate revoked (recalled) and term ended upon a two-thirds vote of Comrade Members casting votes. This resignation, or revocation will trigger a by-election. Nominations will open for three days. After that, and if more more than two Comrade Members have been nominated, an instant-runoff vote with a duration of three days will begin.
Comrade WA Delegate
- The Comrade WA Delegate is a Comrade Member of The Internationale who is elected to a ninety-day term by the Comrade Members of The Internationale.
- If a nation holds the position of “WA Delegate” without having been properly elected by the Comrade Members of The Internationale in a regular election, they will be considered an “Interdelegatum” and cannot exercise any of the duties or powers of the Comrade WA Delegate.
- It is the duty of the Comrade WA Delegate to maintain a legislative archive, up-to-date Charter, regional history, and list of previous General Councils to be displayed on the off-site forums of The Internationale, to hold votes on all valid proposals, to execute the results of all passed votes within the scope of the WA Delegate’s powers, to involve themselves and hold votes on matters concerning WA issues, to remove nations from The Internationale who do not comply with the duties of Comrade Membership and Code of Conduct, to provide leadership and guidance to the General Council, to fulfill the duties of all other elected councillors in event of their inactivity, or in the absence of democratically-elected councillors, and to be a diplomatic and competent representative of the democratic will of the Comrade Members of The Internationale
- The Comrade WA Delegate may not cast votes in matters up for the vote.
- The Comrade WA Delegate will serve as the region's WA Delegate during their term.
- A Councillor is a Comrade Member of The Internationale who is elected to a ninety-day term by the Comrade Members of The Internationale.
- There are three Councillors on the General Council with separate powers granted as Regional Officers. All Councillors will have Communication authority granted as Regional Officers in addition to their individual authority.
- The Councillor for External Affairs will have Embassy authority. It is the duty of the Councillor for External Affairs to assess the validity of all incoming embassy requests, embassy proposals, and established embassies in accordance with The Internationale’s Foreign Policy, to communicate the requirements for embassies as specified in The Internationale’s Foreign Policy to current embassies that do not meet them and to ineligible regions proposing embassies, to seek out new allies for The Internationale, to foster good relations between The Internationale and its allies, to represent The Internationale in alliances, to plan and promote inter-regional events, and to be a diplomatic and competent representative of the democratic will of the Comrade Members of The Internationale.
- The Councillor for Internal Affairs will have Appearance and Poll authority. It is the duty of the Councillor for Internal Affairs to create and promote entertainment events within The Internationale, to encourage amusement and participation through regional polls, to promote membership in the off-site forums, Discord, World Assembly, and The Red Fleet, and to be a diplomatic and competent representative of the democratic will of the Comrade Members of The Internationale.
- The Councillor for Moderation will have Border Control authority. It is the duty of the Councillor for Moderation to monitor the Regional Message Board, Discord server, off-site forums, and any other channels of The Internationale, in order to silence users on the Discord and off-site forums, or remove nations from The Internationale who do not comply with the duties of Comrade Membership and Code of Conduct, and to be a diplomatic and competent representative of the democratic will of the Comrade Members of The Internationale.
- The Comrade WA Delegate will be considered First Councillor primus inter pares and will have Appearance, Border Control, Communication, Embassy, Poll, and World Assembly authority.
- The Custodian is a Comrade Member of The Internationale who administers the safety and security of the region through the "Founder" nation.
- It is the duty of the Custodian to open nominations for elections, to hold elections, to enable authority for Councillors and a duly-elected Comrade WA Delegate when it is reasonably secure to do so, to disable authority at the conclusion of a Councillor or Comrade WA Delegate’s term, to promote WA endorsement of the democratically-elected Comrade WA Delegate, to provide leadership and guidance to the WA Delegate and General Council, to remove nations from The Internationale who do not comply with the duties of Comrade Membership and Code of Conduct, to review the disciplinary actions of the Comrade WA Delegate and Councillors for Moderation, to administer the off-site forums and Discord of The Internationale, and to execute the duties of the Comrade WA Delegate in the absence of a democratically-elected Comrade WA Delegate.
- The Custodian may not cast votes in matters up for the vote.
- The Root Administrator is a comrade who possesses root access to the website and off-site forums of The Internationale.
- It is the duty of the Root Administrator to maintain continuous access to the website and off-site forums of The Internationale, to protect against abuse of power over The Internationale's website and off-site forums by elected officials, to rollback any changes made by abuse of power or error of a Comrade WA Delegate, Councillor, or Founder on the website and off-site forums, to develop and maintain the off-site bot, Lenin, and ensure the security of its tools and code, and to maintain The Internationale's RMB Archive, whenever necessary.
- The Root Administrator of The Internationale reserves the right to transfer all or some of their powers and responsibilities to a competent comrade, or comrades, of their own choosing, in an official capacity through formal resignation, or unofficial capacity by verbal delegation.
- Comrade WA Delegate
- The regional Code of Conduct is hereby established to promote civil and non-disruptive behavior on the regional message board, forums, instant relay chat, and other platforms linked with The Internationale, and to ensure the safety of the region and to protect its residents from personal abuse.
- In addition to those listed in the Charter, grounds for ejection and banning of players from the Internationale shall be recorded in the Code of Conduct.
- Having membership with, or collaborating with regions, organisations, or other forces hostile to The Internationale and the left.
- Indicating intention to harm, or otherwise posing a security risk to The Internationale and the left.
- Attempts at voter fraud, or otherwise undermining democratic procedures in The Internationale.
- Using sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist or other oppressive language.
- Red baiting; ill informed comments, questions or argumentation by ideological opponents of the left with deliberate intention of aggravating residents of The Internationale.
- Posting "spam", including advertisements for other organisations, series of inconsequential posts in quick succession, or otherwise disruptive off-topic messages on platforms linked with The Internationale.
- Personalized attacks or unsubstantiated libelous statements directed at residents.
- Revealing personal, real-life information about other players without their permission.
- Otherwise bullying a resident of The Internationale.
- Any of the above infractions may result in disciplinary action being taken against the offending player, to be carried out at the discretion of the Comrade WA Delegate, the Custodian, or any other moderators on platforms linked with The Internationale.
- Appropriate action taken by The Internationale moderators may include (but is not limited to): censoring, ejection, banning, post suppression or editing, or where appropriate, a simple warning.
- Any Comrade Member of The Internationale may challenge any disciplinary action taken by moderators (or lack thereof), thereby triggering a vote on the subject.
- Name, Purpose, and Flag